[Openl2tp-users] is it a bug?

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Tue Oct 28 08:56:43 GMT 2008

Hi Kostya,

Please avoid posting messages in html format - they don't archive very well.

Kostya Berger wrote:
> Hey, everyone.
>
> I'm running Linux 2.6.25* with openl2tpd-1.6  used as a client to
> connect to my VPN ISP.
> I just mailed to this list a week ago.
>
> Now again I face this problem I had, although it is not persistent.
> Openl2tpd wouldn't start as expected, but gives up on the first try with
> "authentication failed". OK, I added "persist" to the /etc/ppp/options,
> hope that will help.

Don't use persist in the pppd options file. This will cause pppd to try
to stick around after the L2TP session has gone. In general, avoid
putting any options in /etc/ppp/options when using OpenL2TP. Use the ppp
profile parameters instead.

> There is also "persist=yes" in the "tunnel create"
> directive in the /etc/openl2tpd.conf, but that pertains to the tunnel,
> and not to the pppd session, am I right?

If a tunnel is marked persist, then all sessions in that tunnel will
persist (automatically retry).

> OK, I will handle the "authentication failure", but how about the segfault?
> When I restarted it, it gave off this strange "segfault", as follows
> (highlighted in red):
>
> (I must add right away, that after that segfault message it restarted
> and connected OK. So I really can't tell how reproducable this segfault is.)

[snip]

Could you get a stack trace with gdb? Attach gdb to openl2tpd before
creating any tunnels.

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd