[Openl2tp-users] openl2tp server: 500 connects limit

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Wed Oct 29 17:41:35 GMT 2008

Volodymyr S. wrote:
>  Thank you for answer.
> On Tuesday 28 October 2008 11:03:46 you wrote:
>
>> Volodimir wrote:
>>> Good Day!
>>>  I want to back to the trouble which has been described in a thread:
>>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=200809091251.28978.
>>> grif%40td.od.ua I've updated openl2tp to 1.6 version - problem still stays
>>> on.
>>> I've used "debug modify session_profile_name=default all=on" ,  but it
>>> has not helped me to receive the new debug information.
>> Do you have debug enabled in syslog.conf?
>>
>> Enable debug in the tunnel profile too.
>
> in syslog.conf i have:
> # Debugging information is logged here.
> *.=debug                                                -/var/log/debug

ok.

>>>  Maybe, there are any more ideas about it?
>> What is the max file descriptor limit of processes in your system? Most
>> have a default limit of 1024, but it varies between distros. See ulimit.
>>
>> As you have VPN users, you probably have 1 session per tunnel. This uses
>> 2 sockets (file descriptors) per session. Other file descriptors are
>> used internally for things like the timer tick and management.
>
> do you mean this?
> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> 206174

No, there is a per process limit. Use the ulimit command to examine and
modify the limit, i.e.

bash# ulimit -n
1024
bash# ulimit -n 2048

You can also see the limits of any running processing using

cat /proc/<pid>/limits

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd